Social Media

Nottingham vs Cornish Pirates Match Report

Nottingham had to settle for a share of the points as they fought out a 27-27 draw with Cornish Pirates.

It was the least they deserved from one of their better performances of the season in what was an entertaining game.

They dominated much of the first half only to gift a late equalising try, whilst the visitors had a couple of good spells in the second half.

Having fallen behind to a late try from Rob Elloway it was left to Matt Jarvis to earn the draw with the last kick of the game.

Pirates started brightly forcing an early, kickable penalty but opted to go for touch, only to knock on. They kept play in the home half though and eventually forced a second penalty, this time in front of the posts, for Angus Sinclair to open the scoring.

Tom Calladine and Pirates second row James Sandford were then both sin-binned following an off-the-ball incident.

Nottingham's first lineout of the game began a spell of attacking play which brought them a penalty for Jarvis to equalise in the 15th minute.

As they maintained the pressure they won a second penalty, five minutes later, but this time Jarvis was fractionally wide.

The Green and Whites were dominating possession and enjoying plenty of time in the visitors half, grabbing the first try of the game from a close range lineout. The pack drove well and it was skipper Brent Wilson who got the touchdown. Jarvis made it 10-3 with the conversion.

Pirates came more into the game in the late stages of the first half and got themselves level just before the break when winger Matthew Evans set off on a crossfield run following a lineout to score in the left hand corner.

Sinclair made it 10-10 with the conversion, but Nottingham were unlucky not to carve out a try-scoring opportunity with the last move of the half.

They regained the lead five minutes into the second period with a sweeping attack, a fine pass from Jarvis sending winger Sean Morris clear for his first try for the club. Jarvis made it 17-10 with the conversion.

A powerful drive from the Pirates' pack brought them a penalty for replacement Keiran Hallett to make it 17-13.

From the restart though Nottingham again put together a promising attack, and Ed Styles managed to break free down the left for a third try, Jarvis again converting to make it 24-13 on 54 minutes.

A deep penalty kick from halfway five minutes later brought Pirates a close range lineout from which Evans nipped in for his second try of the game.

With both Sinclair and Hallett off injured it was full back Craig Holland who added the conversion.

By this stage Pirates were enjoying their best spell of the game and it took a good field from Jarvis to clear a particularly dangerous attack.

The pressure eventually saw Elloway barge over for a try, which Holland converted, with just a couple of minutes remaining on the clock.

Trailing 24-27 the Green and Whites threw everything into attack and were unlucky when winger Ryan Hough swept round on an angled run only to be stopped ten metres out.

A last minute penalty gave them the chance to get the winning try as they kicked for touch and drove strongly from the resulting lineout.

Somehow Pirates managed to hold them out, but eventually conceded another penalty from which Jarvis levelled the scores.


Nottingham Rugby News and Events